flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Committers - preparing for Git
Date Mon, 18 Mar 2013 03:59:12 GMT

On 3/17/13 8:49 PM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> So does this mean we picked a SCM technology that does not scale?  N-years
>> down the road won't all of our other repos have tons of branches and enough
>> objects to add up to 240MB?  What happens when new folks want to get the
>> code?
>>

> If you checkout the entire whiteboard in SVN today, the same problem
> applies.  If we have access to create unlimited number of top level git
> repos, we wont have this problem.  Unfortunately, we dont, so we have to
> live with this.  Its not a problem with the SCM, but the way Apache Infra
> chose to implement it.
I think you are missing the point.  We have a flex-sdk repo right now.  Some
day it may expand to be 240MB of objects.  Then what?  New folks or new
machines will take 2.5 hours to download in Europe?

For SVN, don't have to checkout the entire whiteboard. I can set the "depth"
option to just get folders until I get to my folder then I can get
everything.  That, to me, is scalability.

> We can chose to have our whiteboards on GitHub instead.  Then everyone has
> the ability to create unlimited number of repos and unlimited branching.  I
> am not sure if this would be acceptable with Apache policy.

That sounds more reasonable.  I don't think that would be against Apache
policy.  Let's see if our more experienced Apache members agree.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team