flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Porting Flex to the GPU
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:19:57 GMT

On 3/11/13 5:46 AM, "DarkStone" <DarkStone@163.com> wrote:

> Flex is an awesome component framework, but it runs entirely on CPU, that's
> the very reason why it makes me frustrated.
>
> When developing an app to be used on iOS or android, flex's performance is
> very disappointing, especially if you add any animation effects to it. And I
> think you all know the reason why, yes, it's because flex runs on CPU.
What evidence you do have to support this claim?  I'm still looking for hard
evidence.  My guess is that the real issue is that Flex is running too much
actionscript.  This is not related to animation, but for example a recent
test of mine showed that a HelloWorld app runs 20,000 lines of AS to get up
and running.

> I think the FalconJx compiler is a right direction, but it will take quite a
> time to make it fully functional, given the reason that JavaScript 1.x is not
> a true OOP script language and the Flash display architecture is not the same
> as HTML/JS. And even if FaclonJx were ready now, the output app still runs on
> the CPU, so...
I haven't kept up, but mobile WebView doesn't use GPU?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team