flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: A guideline for adding new components to the Apache Flex SDK?
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 17:50:37 GMT
I think it is better to reset expectations.  Sure, if we take a team of
several people and develop a component in private, we can introduce to the
public something with relatively high quality several weeks or months after
we start, but I honestly don't think that is the most efficient policy.

If you are reading this, then you are now part of that team, and instead of
developing in private, we are doing it in the open.  This means that early
checkins may be as awful and bug-filled as any early checkins the Adobe
folks saw internally, but it also means we have opportunity to get more
feedback much sooner.

So yes, new components may make their first appearance in a release with the
same sense of "quality" you might have expected from Adobe, but I think we
just have to manage expectations.  The release notes can mention which
components are new and may be in "alpha" or "beta" stages.  And we also get
to release more often so we can react to major issues found more quickly.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team