flex-dev mailing list archives

From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FXG 2.0 donation progress concerns and Adobe design tool support
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:33:20 GMT
> I'm not sure what Adobe gains by continuing to
> spend resources on FXG support at this time.  If you can show there would
> be
> a significant upside, I will try to bring that case to the right people in
> Adobe.

I am not sure how I can convince Adobe, but here is my reasoning:  At my
current and previous companies, Fireworks is used just because of its
ability to convert visual designs into FXG.    We dabbled with Catalyst,
but we found that the tool was too complicated to use for Designers, but
too elementary for Developers.  But, the ability to serialize visual assets
as FXG turned out to be the best way to skin Flex apps.

On the other side, I am very proficient with Photoshop and not too familiar
with Fireworks.  For my simple apps, I choose to create the skins in
Photoshop and spit it out as FXG and just import it into Flex.

I know other folks that used Illustrator for the same purpose.  (BTW,
Illustrator CS6 still supports the "Save As... > FXG > FXG 2.0" option.  I
just tried it out last night.  Not sure what to make of this. )

Thats the possibility of three different tools Adobe could make money of
off from customers who don't necessarily use these tools without FXG

And frankly, the absence of this utility could potentially hurt my chance
of making sure we dont move away from Flex where I work.