flex-dev mailing list archives

From Dasa Paddock <dpadd...@esri.com>
Subject Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk into develop
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 18:16:40 GMT
The problem would be if you had first pushed clone 2 and then did the pull --rebase in clone
1. For more info see:
http://notes.envato.com/developers/rebasing-merge-commits-in-git/

--Dasa

On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:11 AM, Frédéric THOMAS <webdoublefx@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Dasa,
>
>> You could use "git pull --rebase" instead but this does not preserve merge commits
>
> I just did a test on my git lab, I've got a bare repo and 2 clones.
>
> Clone 1:
> 1- I checkout a new branch test1
> 2- I created a file test1.txt
> 2- I add/commit test1.txt
> 3- I checkout master
> 4- I merged --no-ff test1
> 5- I deleted test1
> 6- I push
>
> Clone 2:
> 1- I created a file file1.txt
> 2- I add/commit file1.txt
> 3- I pull --rebase
> 4- I push
>
> Clone 1:
> 1- I pull --rebase
>
> the git log on both clones shows the merge commit, it has been preserved, so, I wonder
what do you mean, did I miss something ?

> Thanks,
> -Fred
>
> -----Message d'origine----- From: Dasa Paddock
> Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:12 PM
> To: <dev@flex.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk
into develop

> Here's one way to avoid having "git pull" create a merge commit on your develop branch.
Checkout your develop branch and then run:

> $ git pull --ff-only
>
> If this give you an error it means you have commits on your develop branch that are ahead
of the remote develop branch. So then, run:

> $ git rebase --preserve-merges origin/develop
>
> This will rebase your commits on your local develop branch onto the remote develop branch.
(Use -p for short.)

> You could use "git pull --rebase" instead but this does not preserve merge commits, which
is what I commonly have following the git flow workflow. For more info on this, see: