flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk into develop
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:04:56 GMT
Hi,

> I used a test git repo to experiment with different scenarios by first going through
this tutorial:
> http://try.github.com
>
> You could of course skip the tutorial and just create a test git repo directly at github.com

I think most of us are aware and can use the basic git commands. I don't think that's the
issue. What seems to be the issues is that's rules about which (possibly obscure) options
we should be using and what is missing is this discussion is how they apply to our project,
what happens if you don't use them and how to get out of trouble when things go wrong.

For instance why did my commit email the list about a merge in my local develop branch (to
README) that no one should care about? Have we just got the email change messages configured
incorrectly or are messages about local merges useful to everyone in some way?

If you use rebase as far as I can see there no command to undo what you done if you make a
mistake. How can we make it safer to use for people new to git?

Do we really want to encourage new Git users to use rebase globally when there seems to be
a lot of information out there saying this can be dangerous.

How do we mark up JIRA tickets to indicate what changes have been made?

How do we work out what  changes have been applied to a branch?

How do we work out what changes have gone into a release?

Also a lot of the Git advice out make certain assumptions (ie you work all the time in master)
so may be confusing to new people as our setup is slightly different.

Thanks,
Justin