flex-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Log history
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 03:30:14 GMT
I'm with Justin. I'm extremely skeptical that we should encourage rebasing. Is there any evidence
that other Apache Git projects use it to avoid merge commits?

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Mclean [mailto:justin@classsoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 6:56 PM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: [OT] Log history

Hi,

Thanks for going though that.

> ---------------------------------
> You add locales
> ---------------------------------
> U:\gitLab\work\asf\flex\testWorkFlow\justin>git checkout -b test_Rebased_Hotfix_Without_Conflic
> Switched to a new branch 'test_Rebased_Hotfix_Without_Conflic'

etc etc

Actually it wasn't quite like that in that as files and directories already existed. It does
seem a bit excessive to make a branch just to change a single file and it also assumes I have
no other changes and a perfectly clean tree (not the case). As the branch is local and not
shared with anyone else do you really need a branch for a simple change to a singe file?

> U:\gitLab\work\asf\flex\testWorkFlow\justin>git pull --rebase origin develop

This is the bit I'm confused about why would I use --rebase when all documentation I've read
say it dangerous to use and it hard to undo (unlike merge) and it difficult to see what it's
going to do (no --dry-run) - I know both of this situations have work arounds (mostly) but
they are complex. It seems to me that knowing what about to happen and being able to back
out of it if things go wrong is far more important than having a totally "clean" history.
It's not like the history produced was incorrect or even confusing.

> U:\gitLab\work\asf\flex\testWorkFlow\justin>git merge --no-ff test_Rebased_Hotfix_Without_Conflic

Why is --no-ff required? What would happen if this option wasn't used in this case? And if
I didn't make the branch in the first place there would be no need for this merge or the hard
reset below right?

> U:\gitLab\work\asf\flex\testWorkFlow\justin>git reset --hard 54072f3

How do I know I need to do this? Would I need to do this every time?

I really don't want to have to work though obscure git options and issue a dozen git commands
just to check in a single fix to a single file. If we have to do that then I think we are
using the tools incorrectly or it's the wrong tool for the job. IMO we need to make it as
easy or easier than SVN to use and add yet more complexity.

Thanks,
Justin