flex-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk into develop
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:35:07 GMT
I find it "interesting" that you apparently can't use Git well without appending all sorts
of obscure switches such as --ff-only, --preserve-merges, and --rebase to your commands.

- Gordon

-----Original Message-----
From: Dasa Paddock [mailto:dpaddock@esri.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:12 PM
To: <dev@flex.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [3/3] git commit: Merge branch 'develop' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/flex-sdk
into develop

Here's one way to avoid having "git pull" create a merge commit on your develop branch. Checkout
your develop branch and then run:

$ git pull --ff-only

If this give you an error it means you have commits on your develop branch that are ahead
of the remote develop branch. So then, run:

$ git rebase --preserve-merges origin/develop

This will rebase your commits on your local develop branch onto the remote develop branch.
(Use -p for short.)

You could use "git pull --rebase" instead but this does not preserve merge commits, which
is what I commonly have following the git flow workflow. For more info on this, see:
http://notes.envato.com/developers/rebasing-merge-commits-in-git/

--Dasa