flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Language features
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 16:14:10 GMT

On 2/5/13 3:26 AM, "Roland Zwaga" <roland@stackandheap.com> wrote:

> People seem to be missing my point...
> Adobe and Apache Flex now both have a compiler, so both are in a position
> to make changes to the language. If these changes aren't in sync then
> effectively
> two separate languages are evolving. Therefore neither of them is AS3
> anymore. (ot at least one of them...)
> When Vectors were introduced AS3 was still solely in the hands of Adobe.
> This isn't the case anymore.

I think I understand you, but if you read the whitepaper again, no changes
to AS3 are mentioned.  Instead, there is mention of language development for
web-based virtual machines.

So, while your concerns are valid, I think Apache Flex should plow ahead in
whatever direction it wants to go and only worry about compiler/language
forking if it actually happens.  Hopefully, Gordon and/or I will be able to
provide early warning.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think everything proposed so far can be
handled as a pre-processor phase (not that we'd actually do it that way) so
it wouldn't be impossible to provide a shim for the ASC2.0.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team