flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Apache Batik 1.7 vs. Private Fork?
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 04:39:14 GMT

On 2/1/13 6:54 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Any thoughts about upgrading to the latest Batik and breaking a project
> specific fork?
Funny you should ask today.  I spent some time today looking at our
dependency on the Adobe font libraries.  Until I did that, my answer would
have been that Falcon doesn't use Batik so eventually we'd be done with
Batik as a dependency.

However, Falcon doesn't yet have embedded font support, and we need to code
up TTF-to-CFF Font handling somehow.  In my snooping around it appears that
Batik doesn't handle CFF either but there are a few requests for it.  It
looks like Batik does read TTF files so maybe the right thing to do is add
CFF support to Batik and use that part of Batik.

Flex uses Batik for CSS as well, and our fork adds non-standard extensions
to CSS.  I think we won't need that part of CSS so we won't have to worry
about that part of Batik.

The TTF-to-CFF conversion looks painful and not-very-fun from my
perspective.  Unless someone jumps in to do it, I guess I'll start trudging
through it maybe one day a week or something like that.

I guess whoever does that should plug into the Batik lists to see if anyone
in that community has CFF under way.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.