flex-dev mailing list archives

From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PR] Getting people excited about Flex
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 19:26:14 GMT

On Feb 5, 2013, at 8:57 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> I sent a screenshot of PrintUI to Infoworld, and apps like that would be nice to have
in a showcase.

Thanks.

> One thing I've been pondering is that what the killer showcase app would be.  Even PrintUI
requires a healthy wait at startup (at least at home over DSL) and the task to perform takes
"a while" so most folks won't really try it to completion and get a good feel for what it
can do.

Yeah. App startup time is always a struggle. With PrintUI the biggest wait is very often waiting
for fonts to load. Depending on the template that can add up to a couple of MB of data or
more…

There's a few optimizations I still plan on doing there, and if we had a sizable persistent
cache, that would help tons at least on subsequent app loads…

Harbs