flex-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Nailor <dNai...@emarketinginc.com>
Subject RE: HTTPService Response Headers
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 21:16:54 GMT
Thanks Rick,

I am in the process of developing API to integrate with the .NET RESTful servicing and there
are two things I am would like to do.
1) On all GET and POST calls to RESTful endpoints attached an "authentication" header with
two name value pairs, i.e. a key and token.
2) I want to be able to handle a 400 Bad Request error (and other 400 errors) and parse through
a JSON payload to allow Flex to determine how to proceed. In the past we have forced a 200
status with a JSON payload but would like to if possible handle 400 errors...

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Winscot [mailto:rick.winscot@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 10:58 AM
To: dev@flex.apache.org
Subject: Re: HTTPService Response Headers

Dan.

If you are not using a proxy service like BlazeDS... anything other than an HTTP200 is going
to cause your Flex application fits. If you are looking for the notion of a 'successful failure'
where an operation completed (e.g. a partial save) but had errors. You'll need to implement
the semantics of that condition yourself - Flex is relegated to either a result or fault.

If you've considered pushing elements into HTTP headers... remember that custom HTTP request
headers are only supported for POST requests, not for GET requests.

http://verveguy.blogspot.com/2008/07/truth-about-flex-httpservice.html

Additionally, heavy restrictions have been placed on HTTP headers in Flash Player 9.0+ and
may get worse. So... your mileage will depend on which headers you want to touch.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/authorization-header-request-flash-player.html

If you have a concrete use-case, we might be able to hammer out an approach that works reliably.
What exactly did you have in mind?

Cheers,

Rick Winscot

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Dan Nailor wrote:

> Hello,
> I am looking to find out if there is anything in the works to allow the HTTPService response
headers to be interrogated beyond successful and unsuccessful calls? From what I understand
this is not possible with the current class and may be a limitation of some browsers.

> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/mx/
> rpc/http/HTTPService.html
> http://blogs.adobe.com/kiwi/2006/07/making_http_calls_in_actionscr.htm
> l (Response Headers)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dan
>
> This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein
(including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission
in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether in electronic or hard copy format.