flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adobe BlazeDS and 3.X SDK branch donation
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 18:28:43 GMT

On 1/23/13 10:12 AM, "Carol Frampton" <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> The answer is no.  Unfortunately the community can't help.  The majority
>>> of the work has to be done inside Adobe before the code can even be
>>> brought to Apache.  In my couple of month estimate I did not include any
>>> test suites.
>> I'm not quite sure the answer is no.  For sure, if we do the donation the
>> way we did the trunk, us Adobe folks have lots of work to do and the
>> non-Adobe folks can't help.  But I'm hoping we can eventually donate 3.x
>> without having to do that because 3.x is a fork of what is already donated
>> to Apache.  We would give up some amount of accuracy in the SVN history,
>> but
>> that might be ok.
>
> Isn't it the other way around?  Flex 4 is a fork of Flex 3.  I'd
> definitely not worry about the SVN history but even so I don't understand
> what you are proposing.

Sure, Flex 4 is one tine of the fork, the other is Flex 3.  But we already
donated the Flex 4 'tine', and trunk at Adobe had Flex 4 stuff, so I am
calling the 3.x branch the 'fork'.  If you look, there haven't been that
many checkins to it since the revision that became Flex 4.  I think we only
need to either commit a patch for each of those revision, or create one
patch that represents the difference between that revision and the current
state of 3.x.  Or we could branch from the head of the Apache Flex trunk and
reverse out everything needed to result in the head of 3.x.  We'd get the
headers right that way.  It sort of depends on what we want SVN history to
show.

Either way, that's a whole lot less data than a full donation of every file
in 3.x.  Plus community members can get 3.x from Open@Adobe and work on that
set of patches since that code is under MPL.  One of us Adobe folks would
probably have to do compiler changes though, although there is a good chance
that all compiler changes to 3.x were echoed in 4.x already.

That's the angle I was going to take when I get around to the donation later
this year, but if someone wants to start on it now, I think they can.  If I
see activity on it, I will take the time to check with legal that is is ok.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team