flex-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [Marketing] - Telling the world that we are a TLP...
Date Mon, 07 Jan 2013 00:42:06 GMT
Hi,

Some notes. I'm sure this can be expanded/ improved upon.

I think there's two important bits of news - becoming a top level project and the 4.9 release.

> What has just been released, by who, & how was the work done?

We've just released version 4.9 of Apache Flex and 2.0 of the Apache Flex IDE Installer. Both
were worked on by many members of Apache Flex PMC, commiters and the wider community. Justin
Mclean was the release manager for Apache Flex 4.9 SDK and OmPrakash Muppirala was the release
manager for the Apache Flex IDE installer.

> Why should current application owners upgrade their existing Adobe Flex applications
to the community release?

Apache Flex is now a top level Apache Software Foundation project and as such gain access
to all the resources and support that other Apache top level projects do. There are a growing
number of Apache Flex commiters.

Apache Flex 4.9 is open source and licensed under the Apache 2.0 license. The software can
be freely used for commercial use, can be modified, distributed and sub-licenced as long as
the in original license is included and all trademarks are respected.

Support for Apache Flex is provided by the community via the Apache Flex mailing lists.

> What capabilities does the Apache Flex release 4.9 have for business managers and developers
that Adobe Flex 4.6 does not?

The 4.9 release contains several important bug fixes, improved internationalisation support
(including new locales) and allows the Apache Flex SDK to be used on a wide range of Adpbe
Flash players and more recent versions of Apache AIR. See the release notes for more information.

The next release of Apache Flex  currently being worked on will include better support for
Mavin and better parity between mx and spark components.

Thanks,
Justin