flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [MENTOR] source package questions
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 23:37:15 GMT

On 5/30/12 3:32 PM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 3.  If you have a .fla file which is a source file for Adobe Flash
>> Professional does that mean we have to require Adobe Flash Professional as
>> a prerequisite build tool?  We have other similar situations which involve
>> different apps/tools to produce different assets.
>> Is Flash Pro required to run a successful build? If so, then I guess we do
>> need it as a requirement. If not then it's optional I guess.
> Not sure if it makes it any clearer, but I would put it this way:
> Flash Pro is to a .swf asset AS Photoshop/Gimp/MSPaint is to a .jpg file
> One does not require Photoshop/Gimp/MSPaint to render a .jpg file, but one
> definitely needs such a tool to modify it.
> I dont think we are planning to *build* any source code using Flash Pro.
That's not quite a fair analogy.  Flash Pro does not modify SWFs per se.  A
SWF is an executable or library output by Flash Pro from a source FLA file.

One of the interesting wrinkles here is that one of the jobs of the Flex
Compiler is to consume a SWF file from Flash Pro.  The question really is
about whether external content needs to be built or not.  Imagine some
Apache project wanted to create a PDF viewer.  Would it need to build its
PDFs from source DOCX files and have MS Word in the workflow?

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.

View raw message