flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: combo box
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 19:17:37 GMT
On 4/10/2012 2:59 PM, Dany Dhondt wrote:
> Hi,
> Now there's a discussion about the comboBox, I'd like to address an issue. Sorry in advance
if it had been addressed already.
> Using the component, one can set the selectedIndex or the selectedItem properties. There's
no way to set a 'selectedValue' property.
> I've solved this by using a custom component based on what I found here.
> The issue is that when you have a dataProvider with a collection of objects, you should
be able to set the selectedItem of the combobox based on one of the attributes of the object.
> When the object has a property named 'customObjectID', one should be able to set the
comboBox 'valueField' to 'customObjectID' and then set the selectedValue property to whatever
value the object's customObjectID is.
> Is there a possibility to add this feature to ComboBox?
  Yes, I've implemented that in the Flextras (MX) AutoCompleteComboBox.

  I gave it a selectedValue property, a valueField property, and a
valueFunction property; similar--in concept--to how the selectedItem,
labelField, and labelFunction work.

  Really the code is just a layer of abstraction for a loop.  If I were
to implement something like that in the framework, I'd probably to up to
List or ListBase as opposed to making it ComboBox specific.

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust