flex-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject So, what should we do first?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 00:42:14 GMT
I’m loving the ideas and energy on this list so far.  And so, the subject question needs
to be answered:  What should we (the committers in this project) do first?

I recall from the summit that a healthy Apache project releases at least every 4 to 6 months,
and one of the things an incubator podling has to do is cut at least one release so it can
show it knows the Apache way of doing so.  So, while we’ve got lots of good ideas out there
around refactoring Flex, lots of those seem like more than a 4 to 6 month project.  They should
certainly get underway, but we also need to make sure we make enough useful, short-term fixes
to be worthy of a release so we can practice making a release.  I’m thinking that means
we pick off a bunch of bugs to fix, and maybe take a new component or two or three.

To do so without getting de-stabilized by the longer term projects, we should agree on a branch
strategy.  It sounds like many Apache projects have multiple branches like:
    -Sandbox:  Anything that doesn’t fall over immediately can go here
    -Unstable: Things that are being polished for release can go here
    -Stable:  The release candidate goes here.
    -Released:  The latest release.

Long term projects would go in Sandbox and shorter term stuff would go in Unstable and get
synched to Sandbox if required.

Most of you are volunteers trying to scratch out spare time to make contributions, but some
of us have all day to work on this stuff.  I am thinking of splitting time between long-term
work and short term work and use JIRA to guide what short-term work I do.

So, add your thoughts on branch strategy (especially Apache veterans).  You can discuss your
favorite short-term project if you want, but what really matters is whether you’ll get around
to committing it.  And of course, this is all talk until we get cleared to submit the code
and get JIRA up and running.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team