flex-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resource Allocation ( was: Flex logo contest )
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 09:21:48 GMT
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Peter Elst wrote:
>>... The situation is just that Apache works in
>> an open development model with volunteers and typically no compensation is
>> given.
> I believe that the ASF employs only  2 or 3 Apache Infrastructure workers and an XA

That's correct, and AFAIK those people are contracted, not employed,
but that doesn't really matter for this discussion.

The ASF budget is public, see
for example, "attachment ak". Expense total on that budget is $611k
for one year with > 150 projects currently and *some* infrastructure
costs...that might put things in perspective, especially if you
compare with other open source organizations which have multi-million
dollar budgets (I'm not saying we're better - it's just a different

> ...The ASF specifically does not pay for development on projects...

Yes - being independent from any corporate influences is a key part of
the ASF model, so as far as the ASF is concerned there is *never* a
contract between it an an individual or company about work being done
in one of our projects.

It doesn't mean resources are not allocated - but that happens
*outside* of the ASF. From the point of view of this project, anything
that happens here is voluntary.

View raw message