flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Flex logo contest page publish
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 20:29:45 GMT

  Here are a few mixed thoughts:

  I wonder if a site like Crowdspring or 99designs would be a suitable
venue for a contest like this?  I believe it would get the contest in
front of folks who are more design oriented than most programmers; and
already have built in facilities for voting on results and a crowd of
interested designers.

  Here is the CrowdSpring project I used to design the DotComIt logo at
CrowdSpring (
http://www.crowdspring.com/project/68345_logo-for-software-development-company/
) and a direct link to our formal RFP:
http://files.crowdspring.com/project_file/68416_Logo%20Design%20RFP%20V0.3.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI3LSG4ZVTVQPOWJQ&Expires=1328400000&Signature=gPjeSzynul8KQCB6y4S1Wh%2Fudw0%3D

On 1/7/2012 2:25 PM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
> UPDATED DRAFT
>
> Apache Flex Re-branding Initiative
>
> On the 31th of December, 2011, the Apache Software Foundation has
> accepted the Flex SDK into incubation. Apache Flex is now a community
> project managed by Apache (ASF). The migration from Adobe to Apache
> involves a re-branding and you can contribute by proposing the new
> Apache Flex logo.
>
> Your proposal will be published on the Flex Incubation website [1]
> next to the other proposals. On [date-end] the community will choose
> the new logo through voting on the Apache Flex Mailing List at [2].

  The proposal as written, assumes Flex knowledge.   Assuming we want to
target designers with this, and that designers are not going to be Flex
knowledgeable, we should add a description of what Flex is.  Evey a 1-2
sentence description like this:

  "Flex is a framework for building Rich Internet and Mobile
Applications on Adobe's Flash Platform"

  added in there somewhere would give context to those ignorant.

> GUIDELINES
>
> The logo should meet the requirements below:
>
> - two versions of the logo: a rectangle (full brand) and a square
> (icon, for example)
> - be prepared to be scaled up or down
> - be able to translate to a 2 color look
>   - 2 color (black/white, 2 greys, etc)
> - be able to be inverted if running on a dark background
> - should not resemble the current Adobe Flex logo
> - it should comply with the Apache branding requirements at
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>
> Note: The design as accepted by popular vote will be treated as a
> proposal that can be tweaked and cemented into it's final published form.
>
> INSPIRATION
>
> While designing the logo, keep in mind what describes Flex:
>
> - User Experience
> - Ubiquity / Cross-platform
> - Enterprise
> - Community Driven
> - Why are you developing with Flex?

  That last line made me think "Do we really want a Flex programmer
designing a logo?"
  When creating projects like this; I like to add emotions or values
that I think the design should convey; and this Inspiration section
seems to be getting at that.  I think this list is a good start, but
could be made more concrete.  I might tweak this list like this:

- Ubiquitous [or Positive or slick, or elegant, or..??]  or User Experience
- Enterprise Quality
- Community Driven

> DEADLINE
>
> [date-end]

  I also think the contest should be longer than a week.

> HOW TO CONTRIBUTE
>
> Send to the Apache Flex Mailing List the links to: [2]
>
> - A PNG version of the logo (and it's scalable variations)
> - A ZIP file with all assets

   When creating projects like this, I often put a "deliverable" section
which includes the "master files" which I would expect the deliverable
here to include either an illustrator file or a high res photoshop
file.  I might also specify that all rights to entries that aren't
chosen are retained by their creator.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur