flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Tabnavigator (and future components)
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:20:54 GMT
On 1/7/2012 9:11 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
> Quoting Jeffry Houser <jeffry@dot-com-it.com>:
>
>> On 1/7/2012 6:33 AM, Michael Schmalle wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh yeah, you had FlexLib, you know why that failed?
>>
>>  Flexlib failed?  How are you defining failure.
>
> No, I'm am sorry for saying that about the FlexLib (to early in the
> morning) I meant the FlexComponent ecosystem perceived as a cohesive
> whole as to sustain multiple tiers of development (sdk -> opensource
> -> commercial).

  Oh, then yes I understand, and agree.  A commercial ecosystem around
Flex has not taken off.  I think there are a lot of reasons for this;
and I could probably write a lot about it.  [Is this the place for that?]

> Jeff, you sell components, I am talking about why do you sell them?

  I want to try to create a life for myself that does not revolve around
"traditional consulting".  Flextras was my first foray into the world of
product development/sales [that launched].  Flextras has become a nice
augment to DotComIt, but has not grown to the point where I'd like it to be.

> Why not donate all your commercial components to the Flex Lib or this
> project? (Does that make you feel something when I say that?, I have
> felt the same way for a year)

  I think it is either resoundingly brilliant or intensely foolish; but
I haven't figured out which yet; and I've been struggling with such
issues since before launching Flextras.

  How does it make you feel?  I'm not sure what emotion you thought it
may evoke in me.

> I would be interested if you have any thoughts on this subject.
  I could write a lot on the subject.  You should be able to piece
together my thoughts nicely by listening to all The Flex Show episodes
and the Flextras Friday Lunch recordings.  The subject of "business"
comes up routinely in both venues.  I assume no one wants to wade
through hundreds of hours of material to find the gems around this,
though?  If people really want me to elaborate here; I can.

> Again, I did not mean FlexLib, that is doing well on GIT, I'm sure you
> were looking at that saying what the heck is he talking about.
  I understand better now. ;)

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur