flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: So, what should we do first?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:56:47 GMT

  I can honestly say it's been a long time since I looked at the public
Flex SVN repo; so I'm not sure the extent of what is in there or how it
is organized.

  Most projects I've worked on have used a "Trunk/Branch/Tag" approach.
To map:

* Released sounds kind of like tags; which is a full snapshot in time
that--presumably--doesn't change.
* Stable sounds kind of like Trunk, which is the primary working branch
for the next version.
* Sandbox/Unstable sound like branch; which are different working
copies.  They often start as an off-shoot of the trunk; presumably to be
combined back in at some future point.

  Is it worthwhile to separate "long term development" (Sandbox) ) vs
"Short term stuff development" (UnStable)?  I assume we wouldn't want to
do that development in the same sub-branch; but is there a reason to
make the distinction between short term and long term development?

  Beyond that, I don't have a strong opinion either way.

On 1/4/2012 7:42 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> I’m loving the ideas and energy on this list so far.  And so, the subject question
needs to be answered:  What should we (the committers in this project) do first?

> To do so without getting de-stabilized by the longer term projects, we should agree on
a branch strategy.  It sounds like many Apache projects have multiple branches like:
>      -Sandbox:  Anything that doesn’t fall over immediately can go here
>      -Unstable: Things that are being polished for release can go here
>      -Stable:  The release candidate goes here.
>      -Released:  The latest release.
>
> Long term projects would go in Sandbox and shorter term stuff would go in Unstable and
get synched to Sandbox if required.

> Most of you are volunteers trying to scratch out spare time to make contributions, but
some of us have all day to work on this stuff.  I am thinking of splitting time between long-term
work and short term work and use JIRA to guide what short-term work I do.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur