flex-dev mailing list archives

From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Flex performance
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:56:30 GMT

  I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think that "performance" is an
actionable item.  The Flex Framework is a big beast; what exactly do you
want to improve performance of?

  If you were to say that "I want views in a mobile web app to change
quicker when using a viewChange effect" that would be something specific
someone could look into.

  Or you could say "I want improved performance when using binding
inside an in-line itemRenderer"

  I have solved a lot of "memory/performance" issues for Flextras
clients over the years strictly by re-writing their itemRenderers to not
use bindings, but to instead respond to the dataChange event.

On 1/4/2012 4:49 PM, Arthur Lockman wrote:
> +1 on this. Performance definitely needs to be addressed on Flex. I've noticed that on
newer devices, it works fine. But on the slightly older ones, performance is a huge issue.
Hopefully we can get in there and clean it up so it performs better.

> --
> Arthur Lockman | Senior Developer @ Vivace
> vi.vace.me
> Twitter: @arthurlockman
> a.rthr.me
>

> On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Fr├ęderic Cox wrote:
>
>> I've worked on Flex applications for the past 4-5 years and see a lot of developers
picking it up since it is easy to create rich applications. However performance is often an
issue.

>> I mostly see it when using a lot of styles (or one large CSS file) and skinned components
(It is even worse with Flex 4 then it was with Flex 3). When a Flex application gets really
large the UI is blocked because there is too much actionscript code needed to get things running.
(with this I mean the processing time is acceptable but UI is blocked so the perception is
that things are slow)

>> Therefore I'd like to vote on improving the performance of the Flex framework where
possible so new and existing applications can benefit. Flex 4 with spark is great but comes
with some performance drawbacks, I hope we can improve on this significantly.

>> I'm speaking on behalf of the experience and perception in the company I work for,
I'm curious to see if this is also a problem for the rest of you.

>> I'm not the expert here but I'd like to get involved and learn so I can eventually
help to fix issues but I believe UIComponent had some overhead and this together with the
StyleManager can cause performance drawbacks in large applications

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur