flex-dev mailing list archives

From "flex@rduartes.net" <f...@rduartes.net>
Subject Re: So, what should we do first?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:54:30 GMT
Hi,
I can safely say that I have a bit of experience using Subversion to manage a long running
project with a big development team across several technologies and the one thing I'm pretty
sure of is that, if not managed correctly from the onset, Subversion could be a nasty beast
to handle.
I'll add my suggestion in here about Subversion organization as I've been giving it a lot
of thought lately and I've come to some conclusions/ideas that might be of interest.
1. I'd use a main TRUNK branch that would hold a releasable version of the project. If we
are to implement the concept of nightly builds, I'd say they come out of this main branch;
2. I'd still create a separate branch for each released version grouped in a RELEASED or TAGS
branch. We would end up having something like this: /released/v4.7 and /released/v5.0. This
would be important if we ever have (and want) to release fixes and patches for a particular
version. These branches are created from TRUNK when a voting for release is determined;
3. Every development, big or small, would be done under a feature branch taken out of TRUNK.
A feature branch per development. These feature branches would be refreshed regularly with
code from TRUNK and would be merged back (and closed) to TRUNK when the development is finished
and ready to be integrated into the main stream after such action is voted by the group. When
different feature branches have dependencies between them, they should decide which would
be the prime branch that would carry changes from both to TRUNK, this one being refreshed
from the dependent branch and TRUNK. The dependent branch would be merged to the prime branch
when it finishes its development and the prime branch would be merged to TRUNK when it finishes
its development (and has received all merges from the dependent branch);
4. Bug fixing for bugs found in a particular version would be done in that version's RELEASE
branch, or a sub-branch thereof and then merged upwards to TRUNK (and to any released versions
if we determine its important enough to have it fixed in those - I'm thinking security bugs
for instance).
I believe that using feature branches, we can have long running developments without having
the need for a generic long term SANDBOX branch that can very easily get polluted if we decide
not to carry something to TRUNK. If we opt to not release patches to released versions, then
there's effectively no real need to have separate release branches (though it makes it easier
to track down bugs found in a particular version). I also realize that some of these ideas
can be achieved by simply using revision numbers as a tag system, but since branches are Subversion
core concept for tagging and divergent development control, I'd use those instead.

Just my two cents on the subject. Sooner or later we'll have to vote on this, especially if
Adobe is about to commit the source code.
Cheers,Rui