fineract-user mailing list archives

From Ed Cable <edca...@mifos.org>
Subject Brief Update from Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2017 20:11:15 GMT
Hi all,

Just wanted to briefly mention that the Mifos Initiative had five of our
mentors in attendance at this past weekend's Google Summer of Code Mentor
Summit in Mountain View.

For myself and Avik it was our first time attending and for Ishan, Pranjal,
and Gaurav they had attended before.

I will share a blog post later on with more thoughts and reflections but it
was very worthwhile event that I hope more of our mentors can attend in the
future - it was nice to be together and share ideas with so many passionate
open source people.

The unconference format lent itself to many valuable sessions. I led one
session titled "Sticking Around: Attracting and Retaining Long-Term
Contributors".  You can find notes on that here: https://goo.gl/yofrLr

I also attended sessions on Kubernetes led by Google staff, Failing More
Students, GCI Discussion, GSOC selection process, and GitHub workflow
improvements. The GitHub session opened my eyes to some valuable bots and
tools we could use to better automate our processes.

I wanted to thank Avik especially for attending many sessions to expand his
knowledge and for spending several hours in deep brainstorming sessions
with me about our software and the community.

There were also two sessions worth of lightning talks (2-3 min) spanning 3
hours covering 50 projects. These were especially impressive to see the
scale, scope, diversity, and complexity of the GSOC projects students are
working on. I gave a lightning talk on Dilpreet's Mobile Banking App
project (slides at https://goo.gl/WSbE37) and Pranjal gave one on Gopala's
web app enhancements (slides at https://goo.gl/PN6nyZ)

--
*Ed Cable*