fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Cable <edca...@mifos.org>
Subject Re: Next Steps for Bringing Generation 3 Architecture into Apache Fineract
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2017 18:11:17 GMT
Hi Myrle,

Please see my replies inline.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:57 AM, Myrle Krantz <myrle@apache.org> wrote:

> >> I want to be the kind of
> >> person who provides actionable information, and requests, so I made a
> >> decision based on that experience: I will not ask for help on a
> >> project again until I am ready to personally guide a new contributor
> >> through the process of contributing:
> >> * getting the new project building,
> >> * understanding the project structure,
> >> * finding appropriate tickets, and
> >> * getting their pull request merged.
> >>

> > That's a good checklist to have in place. With Apache Fineract Version 1,
> > we try our best to do that and I hope that others in the community can
> > hopefully start the doing the same for Gen 3/Apache Fineract Version 2
> > without you or anybody from Kuelap having to be a bottleneck.
>
> Unfortunately there are aspects of this that we need to work on.  In
> particular pull requests.  As I pointed out in my last report to the
> board, there are 38 open pull requests stretching back to March, 2016.
> You can see them here:
> https://github.com/apache/fineract/pulls?page=2&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen
>
> Also unfortunately: I got no response to that.

Every one of those pull requests has been commented on and followed up by
Nazeer. Some are merged and I take it could be closed so we'll try and do
another round of cleanup on those open pull requests. But the fact that
they're open, does not mean that they've been ignored or reviewed.

> We also have some other important holes:
> * Take your first steps in confluence contains no information on
> building the project.
> * Take your first steps links to the issue tracker, but we do not seem
> to have a tag for newbie issues or issues for non-programmers such as
> people who are interested in contributing QA, requirements collection,
> or documentation. If we do have such a tag, or tags, they are not
> documented in the "Take your first steps" page.

I will try and plug those holes as needed but I wasn't aware of that and
since we all have karma to the wiki I encourage the entire PMC if there are
gaps in documentation we try to take the effort to close them. Throughout
GCI, we tried to have students identify holes and plug them as they could.

Under the User's Zone there are build instructions, so I will link to those
from the Take your First Steps page.

Since there is no standard label for Beginner/Newbie issues, we have used
the taxonomy the Mifos community has always gone by in the past, with a
"Volunteer" label. I will ensure that this list is accessible from the Take
Your First Steps page.

At the Mifos Initiative, we try and do all that we can to engage
non-technical individuals through our website on these other non-technical
tasks. I and my colleagues in the Mifos community will try to do what we
can but I encourage other members of the PMC and community to do as such.
However the documentation we have in place on Apache Fineract was pretty
bare bones by design and I think was reflective of the culture that this is
a meritocracy and contributors/newcomers should sink or swim on their own
accord.

I personally have always espoused a different view in that I think some
community members need more handholding and that's why at the Mifos
Initiative we try to directly onboard new volunteers/partners etc.

I will work with Sampath and others to try and extend documentation. Please
point us to best practices on other projects we should emulate.

> I'd like to do better on these points when we submit Fineract CN, but
> clearly doing so is not trivial, or else we'd be doing better.
>
> >> Beyond both of these lists there is still more required to make this
> >> code into part of a successful Apache project:
> >> * addition of RAT to the build process,
> >> * adjustments to the project to remove non-Apache licensed code
> >> (potentially),
> >> * communications between Mifos and Apache to donate a tranche of code
> to a
> >> TLP,
> >> * communication with the Apache INFRA team to set up source
> >> repositories, and artifact repositories,
> >> * adjustments to JIRA to make it possible to mark tickets for which
> >> Gen, and which component,
> >> * release management for a new kind of release structure, and
> >> * collective decision-making about the future project direction.
> >
> > This was the aim of the wiki page - can you please add those there? These
> > are exactly the kinds of items I wanted listed so we can discuss with
> other
> > Apache community and Mifos community members, how they could possibly
> > contribute in completing these prerequisites.
>
> Once I'm ready to support people in these tasks, I'll add them as JIRA
> tickets.  It's easier to track them that way.  Before we can do that
> though, I see two pre-requisites:
>
> 1.) The Apache Fineract project has to accept the Fineract CN code.
> 2.) The Mifos Initiative has to donate the code to the ASF and the ASF
> has to accept it.

Thank you for drilling down to these two prerequisites.

> Given the ground-swell of interest in Fineract CN, the first point is
> likely mostly a formality.  I still want a formal vote though, with
> close to 100% participation.  This is a significant move, and it's
> important to me that the Apache Fineract committers explicitly express
> willingness to take on the responsibility.

As VP of our PMC and one of the leads on Fineract CN development, I kindly
ask you to initiate such a vote.

> I'm not entirely certain how step 2 proceeds.  The easiest way to find
> out is to run it by the incubator -- that's where the Apache experts
> for code donation "live".  Presumably the Mifos Initiative (ie Ed
> Cable) will have to sign some forms and send them to the ASF, and the
> ASF board will have to vote on it at a board meeting.  In this
> process, one very significant contributor to that code base (Mark van
> Veen) will probably need to sign an iCLA.  The rest of us already have
> an iCLA on file with the ASF.

I will discuss this with the incubator then. Please also grant me access to
the repository so I can assist with the actual transition when it occurs.
Thanks for the heads up on Mark van Veen and making the process as clear as
possible.

> Let me be very clear on this: the code belongs to the Mifos
> Initiative.  It doesn't belong to the ASF, and it doesn't belong to
> Kuelap.

Thank you for providing that clarity. Up until yesterday and my
conversations with Craig, I was not aware that all the code (including the
last several months of development) was still under copyright ownership of
the Mifos Initiative. This will simplify the transition greatly.

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative