fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gen 3 and Apache Fineract
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2017 14:31:41 GMT
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 5:24 AM, Henrik Esbensen
<henrik@dreamstartlabs.com> wrote:
> Hello Apache Fineract community,

Hi Henrik.  You and I are a little better acquainted, than I am with
Nayan and Nyi.  I know some of the answers to some of the questions
I'll ask you below.  You can explain what you do best though.  So I'll
ask anyways with the hope of providing a little grease on the
communication wheels.

> I'm Henrik Esbensen at DreamStart Labs <http://www.dreamstartlabs.com/> . We
> are developing mobile solutions to help people in developing countries
> realize their dreams of a better life. Our first product is DreamSave
> <http://www.dreamstartlabs.com/products.html> , a combination of mobile and
> cloud technology which will digitize village savings groups. DreamSave is
> being developed in partnership with Project Concern International
> <https://www.pciglobal.org/>  in Tanzania.

It's wonderful to see a fintech focusing on savings.  As important as
loans are, I believe that the larger portion of missing banking
coverage in developing countries is in the area of savings.

What's mobile coverage like in Tanzania?  How important are
offline-first solutions there? Will you be working with smart phones
(and which kind)?  Will some of your services be provided via feature
phones? Will you be using Fineract just for the core banking
components, or are you supporting field officers as well? Are you
using Fineract just to manage savings, customers, and groups, or are
you also integrating with or implementing a mobile money system?

You mention cloud technology, so I assume your team is acquainted with
cloud hosting. Are you be deploying in one of the big cloud providers
such as Google, AWS, or Azure? Are you deploying directly to one of
these environments or are you using some sort of abstraction
technology such as Docker, Kubernetes, OpenStack, or CloudFoundry?

What do the privacy regulations look like in Tanzania? Do you have any
special needs in this area? Are there any special needs in and around
security in the communities that you serve?

> We have followed the development of Mifos Gen 3 (Mifos I/O) very closely,
> and are very excited about it. Our team has attended many Mifos meetings and
> webinars and had countless discussions with various members of the Mifos
> community. It is clear that the next generation architecture which Mifos I/O
> offers present very promising opportunities.

As I've been answering these e-mails, this naming has been bothering
me a bit.  I find it potentially confusing.  This software, while
largely developed under the Mifos Initiative will, hopefully, see its
first release under the auspices of Apache Fineract.  Under Fineract
this is not a "Gen 3"; we've only just brought out Apache Fineract
1.0.0.  I can understand why the Mifos Initiative would call this Gen
3, but I am no longer associated with the Mifos Initiative.  To avoid
confusion, I'm going to skip numbering altogether, and call this
Apache Fineract Cloud Native (or Fineract CN for short).  If Mifos
repackages this, Mifos can call it Mifos Gen3, but I will not be
involved in those efforts.

I'm glad to hear that you find our Fineract CN architecture
convincing.  What about our architecture fulfills needs that you have
not been able to fulfill elsewhere? Is there anything in what you've
already seen which could be changed to better fulfill your needs?

I believe that, at the present, you are dealing with a single tenant
application; is that correct? Does this one tenant place enough
scaling pressure on your application to justify the extra resources
that a microservices architecture requires for a one instance install?
Or are you hoping to attract more tenants?

> We want to build technology solutions on top of the Gen 3 framework and
> would love to provide input for the future roadmap. However, we don't feel
> comfortable pursuing this path before the Gen 3 framework is formally a part
> of Apache Fineract.

Do I understand correctly that you wish to provide requirements, but
not contribute code?

> So when will the framework be part of Apache Fineract? And how we can be a
> part of this process? We are eager to see Mifos Gen 3 become a part of the
> Apache Fineract project and would like to contribute as individuals.
>

> We have worked extensively with the previous generation, Mifos X (Gen 2), in
> the past. It was a great experience. At the same time, we are well aware
> that Mifos I/O (Gen 3) will take the possibilities to an even higher level,
> and we want to utilize that ASAP. The micro-services architecture is very
> promising, as is various integration possibilities. The opportunities for
> innovation on the Gen 3 platform are very, very exciting. But it's difficult
> for me to see how this can all come to full fruition before Gen 3 becomes a
> part of the Apache Fineract project.

I've been working for Kuelap, and not the Mifos Initiative since March
of this year.

The good news is that Kuelap is just as committed as Mifos is to
contributing to Apache Fineract.  All of my programming time is
dedicated to the future Fineract CN code under
https://github.com/mifosio.  I have made nearly 500 commits in public
to that source code since joining Kuelap.  Many of those changes stem
from our own experiences with cloud native deployment.  If that code
were under Apache, I'd be one of most prolific committers at Apache.
Two other employees of Kuelap are providing even more intense
dedication than I am.  We are literally giving it everything we've
got.

The bad news is that that code is not quite far enough along to be
ready for a first release.  I wish to bring that code to first release
status before we bring it into the Fineract community for two reasons:

1.) Right now we have tremendous pressure to achieve certain
milestones which is common in startups. I do not have capacity for the
various communication tasks required to bring this code into the
community.
2.) I believe it will be easier to explain things and get people on
board with code which has a first release level of maturity.

We're close but we're not there yet.  I hope you can be patient for a
little longer.

Best Regards,
Myrle Krantz