fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Managing non-Apache code from ASF resources?
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 00:54:58 GMT
On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 4:53 AM, Myrle Krantz <mkrantz@mifos.org> wrote:
> Hi Mentors,
>
> As you know Apache Fineract has a UI project which Mifos did not donate to
> the ASF because it's not licensable in the way the ASF requires.  This has
> been a major communication challenge.  We've split the communication across
> two lists, even though newbies don't understand the difference between the
> UI and the backend code, and even though many discussions impact both.
>
> At the ApacheCon I was asked if we have any volunteer opportunites for
> non-techies.  Mifos does, and among those are translations or documentation
> which are definitely more prevalent in the UI.
>
> So here's the question (s): Is there any objection to us creating tickets
> for non-Apache code in the Apache's Jira, or moving documentation of the UI
> to Apache's Confluence? Is there any reason we should be careful about
> having discussions about the UI on the Apache mailing list?
>
> Because if we could move these kinds of communications into one channel,
> instead of the two it currently is split between, it might help alleviate
> some of the confusion...

Since what gets developed at ASF is basically the engine -- I'd assume that
multiple different UIs would be possible. Hence it seems to me that a more
natural relationship would be the other way around: folks working on Mifos
point at ASF JIRA, etc. Btw, does Mifos have a publicly available, developer
friendly tracker and wiki infrastructure?

Thanks,
Roman.