fineract-dev mailing list archives

From George Ng'ang'a <gkn...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [Mifos-developer] Interested in being a mentor for Google Code-In?
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2016 07:14:03 GMT
Hi Ed, consider me to be part of mentors.
Kimani Ng'ang'a

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ed Cable" <edcable@mifos.org>
Sent: ‎25/‎10/‎2016 00:27
To: "Mifos software development" <mifos-developer@lists.sourceforge.net>; "mifos-users"
<mifos-users@lists.sourceforge.net>; "dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org)" <dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org>
Subject: [Mifos-developer] Interested in being a mentor for Google Code-In?

Hello community,

We are considering applying to be a mentoring organization for Google Code-In. Google Code-In
is a program run by Google aimed towards pre-university students where students compete to
complete as many bite-sized tasks (3 to 5 hours) as possible across the following buckets:
Code, Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User Interface.

The GCI timeline can be found at: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/timeline

Important dates include:
- Mentoring Org Application Deadline: Oct 24
- Accepted Orgs Announced: Nov 7 - this is when we begin listing out all our tasks
- Students begin working: Nov 28 - this is when students start working and we must be quick
to mentor, and review and close off tasks as completed.
- last date to submit tasks - Jan 16 - students must complete all work on competing tasks.

We last participated in 2014 and were very pleased and impressed withe output of our students
who contributed more than 650 hours. However, this program is very intensive and requires
the strong and active commitment of mentors. Unlike Google Summer of Code where the mentorship
is heaviest up front and then the students work somewhat independently throughout the summer,
Google Code-In is intensive with hands-on engagement the entire time since we must keep a
steady pool of hundreds of open tasks and review and mentor students as they complete their
tasks.

Before we even consider applying, I want to put a call out to all members of the community
to see if they're interested in mentoring - this would both involve coming up with tasks,
mentoring students as they complete tasks, and reviewing the completed tasks.

You don't need to be a developer to participate as the tasks are technical and non-technical
in nature.

If interested in mentoring, please email me within the next two days or fill out this quick
Google Form - https://goo.gl/forms/V7NDMbbCaHx2VFHI3

Based on interest level, we'll determine if we apply.

--

Ed Cable

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org