fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Geiß <markus.ge...@live.de>
Subject RE: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 12:03:32 GMT

> Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:56:14 -0700
> Subject: Re: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
> From: roman@shaposhnik.org
> To: dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM, Markus Geiß <markus.geiss@live.de> wrote:
>>> Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 20:33:06 -0700
>>> Subject: Re: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
>>> From: roman@shaposhnik.org
>>> To: dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org

>>> Multiple repos are, of course, permissible. However, the question you should
>>> be asking your self are more along the lines of how much of a de-couple
>>> release policy AND community participation do you want to have between
>>> these projects. Because the thing is, if your repos are independent enough
>>> wrt. release schedules AND independent enough regarding who commits
>>> to them ASF will be asking a question of breaking you into a set of projects.
>>>
>>> Does this answer you question?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Roman.
>>
>> Hey Roman,
>>
>> thanks for the answer. ; o)
>>
>> To provide a little more context. We are currently working on a per-service
>> repository approach to reduce unwanted cross service usage of internal
>> classes and implementations.
>>
>> Every business domain will become a micro service and a single repository
>> with multiple modules.
>
> The real question you should be asking yourself is how are you going to
> release those things. The "contract" that ASF has with the rest of the normal
> world is that we release software as tarballs/zips/etc. Source code
> repo(s) is an
> implementation details. With that in mind, please tell us about your release
> strategy for these multiple repos and then we may be able to help refine
> this.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Hey Roman,

Given that every micro service is implemented as a standalone artifact that
can be replaced, and for this it utilizes its own versioning, I believe it would
be more in line with ASF if every service is a repo.

We will release these independently from each other running their own versions.

To answers Ross' question. We won't have different permissions for each micro
service. Once a committer, always a committer. It would simply lower the barrier
for a dev to pick the component he would like to work on, and frees him from
some complexity by using a small and dedicated source set.

Best,

Markus

.::YAGNI likes a DRY KISS::.