fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 07:48:23 GMT
At Apache we don't like umbrella projects - that is projects that can stand on their own as
separate projects being gathered together under one-uber project. This tends to be damaging
for community development. However, there is nothing wrong with one project having multiple
"services" each represented as a separate project within a parent PMC when those services
are not useful projects outside of Fineract itself.

Another warning sign is if the services start to build their own governance structure within
the parent project. Merit earned on one part of a Top Level Project gives equal authority
over all other parts. Now you may have social policies that say "don't touch code you don't
understand" but you can't have byelaws that prevent it. If it is necessary to separate your
community in this way then you probably need to have multiple TLPs.

So the answer is "it depends ;-)

Ross