fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 01:56:14 GMT
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:29 AM, Markus Geiß <markus.geiss@live.de> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 20:33:06 -0700
>> Subject: Re: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
>> From: roman@shaposhnik.org
>> To: dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org
>>
>> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Myrle Krantz <mkrantz@mifos.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Mentors,
>>>
>>> I asked this question in the thread on microservices, but the e-mail was
>>> long and most of the content was not relevant for you guys so you may have
>>> missed it:
>>>
>>> As far as I can tell the current mode of operation at Apache is one
>>> repository to one product. I would prefer to work with one repository per
>>> service. I believe that would help programmers remain strict about
>>> division of labor between the services, and think more carefully about
>>> interface breaking changes. Is there any reason a product can’t have
>>> multiple repositories?
>>
>> Multiple repos are, of course, permissible. However, the question you should
>> be asking your self are more along the lines of how much of a de-couple
>> release policy AND community participation do you want to have between
>> these projects. Because the thing is, if your repos are independent enough
>> wrt. release schedules AND independent enough regarding who commits
>> to them ASF will be asking a question of breaking you into a set of projects.
>>
>> Does this answer you question?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roman.
>
> Hey Roman,
>
> thanks for the answer. ; o)
>
> To provide a little more context. We are currently working on a per-service
> repository approach to reduce unwanted cross service usage of internal
> classes and implementations.
>
> Every business domain will become a micro service and a single repository
> with multiple modules.

The real question you should be asking yourself is how are you going to
release those things. The "contract" that ASF has with the rest of the normal
world is that we release software as tarballs/zips/etc. Source code
repo(s) is an
implementation details. With that in mind, please tell us about your release
strategy for these multiple repos and then we may be able to help refine
this.

Thanks,
Roman.