fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] multiple repos for one Apache Product?
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 03:33:06 GMT
On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Myrle Krantz <mkrantz@mifos.org> wrote:
> Hi Mentors,
>
> I asked this question in the thread on microservices, but the e-mail was
> long and most of the content was not relevant for you guys so you may have
> missed it:
>
> As far as I can tell the current mode of operation at Apache is one
> repository to one product.  I would prefer to work with one repository per
> service.  I believe that would help programmers remain strict about
> division of labor between the services, and think more carefully about
> interface breaking changes.  Is there any reason a product can’t have
> multiple repositories?

Multiple repos are, of course, permissible. However, the question you should
be asking your self are more along the lines of how much of a de-couple
release policy AND community participation do you want to have between
these projects. Because the thing is, if your repos are independent enough
wrt. release schedules AND independent enough regarding who commits
to them ASF will be asking a question of breaking you into a set of projects.

Does this answer you question?

Thanks,
Roman.