fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Myrle Krantz <mkra...@mifos.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [FINERACT] 0.1.0.incubating for release
Date Tue, 12 Apr 2016 11:36:56 GMT
I looked at the NOTICE (1) and LICENSE (2) files, and I was surprised to
see BSD- and MIT-licensed libraries mentioned in the NOTICE file.  If I
understand the guidelines (3) correctly, these are not necessary.  Also if
I understand the guidelines correctly, it is desirable to put as little as
possible into the NOTICE file as possible.  After looking at the Eclipse
license (4), I suspect libraries licensed under that also do not require an
entry in the NOTICE file.  For the other licenses, I'm even less certain
than I am for these.  So I hope our mentors will weigh in on these three
licenses (BSD, MIT, and Eclipse), and once we have that, I'll check the
remaining ones.

In the LICENSE file, I was surprised to see the entire license text of all
these licenses copied in.  If I understand the guidelines correctly, it is
preferable to include a link to these licenses within the distribution
unless they are very short (which most of them aren't).

I especially feel uneasy about the copying in of GPL into the LICENSE
text.  Not sure how rational that is, but I just don't like it.

Neither of these are blockers for release, depending on how well we want to
do it on our first go.  I would give the release a +1 vote despite these
objections, if we could resolve the GPL license issue.  I would expect us
to resolve the other issues before our next release though (if they
actually are issues -- again: *MENTORS?*).

Greets from the Voreifel, Germany,
Myrle Krantz

1.)
https://github.com/apache/incubator-fineract/blob/0.1.0-incubating/NOTICE