fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Markus GeiƟ <markus.ge...@live.de>
Subject RE: Missing git history
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:35:35 GMT
Vishwas,

given that the core team has done the renaming and relicensing in one commit,
git would not be able to detect the move. All files will be detached from the history
anyways. Git compares files by tree and their BLOB, the changed files lead to a
new BLOB in a new tree so git would recognize them as new not changed files.

The risk to 'act' like there is a history and others using the Apache repo as the new
upstream, loosing there files by accident b/c the files are 'deleted' was simply too
high.

If we like to preserve the history all changes need to be reverted and every single step
needs to be in its own commit.

It would also not be feasible to move the whole repo over, because we only can move
the recent develop. All open branches, and release branches should not be moved
for clarity reasons and to avoid confusion.

Best,

Markus

.::YAGNI likes a DRY KISS::.