fineract-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Jira Workflow
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2016 15:05:01 GMT
Your observations are good ones. Cultural awareness is very important.

The "trick" that I've found to work is to speak and act in a way that encourages participation.
Take the time to send a few sentences indicating that *EVERYONE* has a voice here and that
their voice is of equal weight to everyone elses.

Voting is not a mechanism that brings consensus. As others have said it creates divides. There
are winners and losers. Furthermore, if the only person who sees the inherent flaw in the
proposal is someone without a binding vote how can they make a difference in a vote in which
their vote doesn't count and even if it did it would be one against many.

Better is to make it clear that anyone with a concern should raise it. Then ensure that concern
is discussed and addressed to the satisfaction of the whole community.

The way to make this happen is not to create rules about how decisions are made. It's to create
a culture of sharing and respect. A culture in which listening and doing is more valuable
than talking and defining. It's about accepting "good enough" is an excellent contribution
while incremental improvements that take us from "good enough" to "even better" are equally
valuable.

You are absolutely correct to worry that this is more difficult in some cultures than in others.
You should continue to do so. Call for specific input from the community as a whole. Ensure
you leave space for people to contribute how *they* choose to do so. Basically actions within
the community speak much loader than words in a policy or process document.

With that in mind, does anyone here have a feeling for what the right balance is between process
and policy for this community?

Ross