felix-users mailing list archives

From Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
Subject [logback] Automatically setting up JUL-to-slf4j bridge?
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 12:50:52 GMT
Hi,

I am looking into using the felix logback module. The main setup works
just fine, and anything using slf4j routes its logging through this
module.

In my application one bundle (aries-spi-fly) uses java.util.logging
APIs. Digging through the felix.logback tests I discovered that there
are two ways to configure this bridge:

a. Create a bundle that programatically installs the bridge

https://github.com/apache/felix/tree/trunk/logback/itests/standard-jul

I haven't tried this, but it looks like this is a regular bundle, no
special setup required.

b. Configure the JUL handlers using a properties file

https://github.com/apache/felix/tree/trunk/logback/itests/immediate-jul

AFAIU, this requires that the system bundle has visibility into the
slf4j classes, so that some org.slf4j classes are attached to the sytem
bundle (I'm not familiar with bndrun files, so please excuse any
imprecisions).

A couple of questions regarding this setup:

1. Is my understanding on how to setup a JUL-to-slf4j bridge correct?

2. Would you consider a way of automatically setting up this bridge?
Ideally dropping in the jul-to-slf4j bundle should be all that is
required.

Thanks!

Robert