felix-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Lietz <apa...@oliverlietz.de>
Subject Re: Felix and JavaFX
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 10:52:34 GMT
On Sunday 09 July 2017 15:50:51 Chuck Davis wrote:
> Hi Neil:

Hi Chuck,

> I'm just beginning my investigation of OSGi because I want to do things
> that it sounds like OSGi was designed to do and I'm too lazy to reinvent
> the wheel if it already exists.  I develop desktop business applications
> and my development style is already quite modular in concept but I want to
> get to the next level of modularity.
>
> Paul's article hits the nail on the head with what I am hung up on in the
> "Importing JavaFX Packages" subsection.  That is the first problem and Paul
> lays out that there are more ahead before/if I achieve victory.

see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5558

You basically setup the OSGi framework in your main method, register screen
and primary stage as services in (Application) start method and shutdown the
framework in (Application) stop method. The hardest part is to get all third-
party dependencies playing nice.

I'm using maven-bundle-plugin and javafx-maven-plugin.

> I've done a bit more reading and it sounds like the Bndtools he endorses
> from Eclipse is just a more user-friendly version of Bnd so maybe I can
> find a way to use the Bnd tool directly.....many challenges lie ahead it
> sound like.
>
> Thanks for your interest.

Regards,
O.