felix-users mailing list archives

From "David M. Karr" <davidmichaelk...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about Maven version vs. bundle version
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2016 18:50:56 GMT
I'm using the bundle plugin as part of an Eclipse plugin build, using
Tycho, in a large codebase that I inherited.

I'm "familiar" with OSGi, but I haven't gone very deep with it.

I'm wondering about how to properly manage versions of Maven artifacts
vs. versions of bundles.

I've constructed a Maven pom whose only purpose is to package up a
handful of Maven dependencies, as Tycho can only directly use artifacts
in a p2 repo. Maven artifacts have to be packaged into a bundle.

My maven artifact has a "-SNAPSHOT" version.  I have to give the bundle
a version.  The easiest conceptual thing to do here is give the bundle
the same version as the Maven artifact.  That's not going to work
exactly, as you can't give bundles "-SNAPSHOT" versions.  I could make
it ".SNAPSHOT" instead, which appears to work when installing the
artifact, at least.

Do people tend to try to tie the Maven version with the bundle version,
or keep them separate?

If the tendency is to keep them tied, is there a straightforward way to
automatically produce a reasonable bundle version from the Maven
version, or does it have to be manually updated each time the Maven
artifact version is changed?

This may be an unrelated problem, but I'm also having trouble getting
another module to resolve this module as a dependency.  When it tries to
resolve dependencies, it just says it is a "missing requirement" and
that the module could not be found.  I think this message is coming from
Tycho, not the bundle plugin.