felix-users mailing list archives

From Malek Ben Salem <malek-ben.sa...@aicas.de>
Subject Re: org.osgi.framework.bsnversion=multiple
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2016 12:19:00 GMT
Yes, I use the same location string. Is there another way to do this?

Shouldn't the framework just ignore the existing location if the
bsnversion switch is set to multiple? I mean, why bother "allow multiple
bundles to be installed having the same symbolic name and version" if
the install method will refuse it before checking? This is how I
understand the spec, so I changed my build to check the switch before
eventually looking for the location and then just do one thing or the
other (return the existing bundle or install a new one).

Regards,
Malek.

On 01/13/2016 03:40 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> Do you pass a unique location string each time you install?
>
> Neil
>

>> On 13 Jan 2016, at 12:12, Malek Ben Salem <malek-ben.salem@aicas.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to start many instances of the same bundle in one OSGi. I have noticed
that setting org.osgi.framework.bsnversion=multiple doesn't change anything. The install command
returns the ID of the already installed bundle, no new bundle is installed, as specified in
4.4.3 of the OSGi Core Release 6 Spec:

>> "Every bundle is uniquely identified by its location string. If an installed bundle
is using the specified
>> location, the installBundle methods must return the Bundle object for that installed
bundle and not install a new bundle."

>> Yet the same section also says:
>>
>> "If the to be installed bundle has a bundle symbolic name and version pair that is
already installed in
>> the framework then the installation is only valid when the org.osgi.framework.bsnversion
framework launching property is set to multiple or managed."

>> Section 10.1.15.49 (concerning org.osgi.framework.bsnversion=multiple) actually says
this should be possible:
>> "Specifies the framework will allow multiple bundles to be installed having the same
symbolic name and version."

>> So, is this a bug in the framework? I actually use my own build of the framework
where I changed the installBundle method of org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.java to force
this option to work. I still would like to know the better way to achieve this or to have
the bug corrected.