felix-users mailing list archives

From Neil Bartlett <njbartl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help in using your Quartz OSGi bundle
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:59:52 GMT
Such a tool does exist… for example the Embed-Dependency and Embed-Transitive instructions
in the maven-bundle-plugin. Of course, the price is that every bundle will contain its own
copy of every library. So if you think this solves the problem then I recommend not bothering
with OSGi or any other module system.

Ultimately there can be no automated substitute for developers paying attention to the two
principles of modular composition: high cohesion and low coupling. When developers fail to
do this (as the Quartz developers apparently did), users suffer.

Neil

> On 11 Oct 2015, at 16:17, Pedro Domingues <pedro.domingues@ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>
> I understand that everything has dependencies, however I wish this embedding could be
automated, for example having maven downloading and embedding transitive dependencies into
the quartz bundle.

> Thanks
>
> On 11/10/2015 16:08, ecki@zusammenkunft.net <mailto:ecki@zusammenkunft.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have to agree with Neil, hower I want to add, that the bundling of Quartz here is
the problem, it could make some dependencies optional and it could even add some of the dependencies
inside the bundle. This is what I did with Quartz, I embedded Quartz and some of its dependencies
inside a bundle to greatly remove its external dependencies. You can even overwrite/remove
some imports for unused artifacts. Quartz needs this special treatment since its a big ugly
blob of goo.