felix-users mailing list archives

From Pedro Domingues <pedro.doming...@ist.utl.pt>
Subject Re: Help in using your Quartz OSGi bundle
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:20:08 GMT

On 11/10/2015 18:59, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> Such a tool does exist… for example the Embed-Dependency and Embed-Transitive instructions
in the maven-bundle-plugin. Of course, the price is that every bundle will contain its own
copy of every library. So if you think this solves the problem then I recommend not bothering
with OSGi or any other module system.
According to every OSGi book, bundles containing too many unused
dependencies are probably coarse-grained and should be divided into
smaller, more concise modules. The thing is that these bundles contain
the whole library and have tons of different responsibilities, which
goes against the fine-grained modules principle in modular architecture
design.

> Ultimately there can be no automated substitute for developers paying attention to the
two principles of modular composition: high cohesion and low coupling. When developers fail
to do this (as the Quartz developers apparently did), users suffer.

> Neil
>
>> On 11 Oct 2015, at 16:17, Pedro Domingues <pedro.domingues@ist.utl.pt> wrote:
>>
>> I understand that everything has dependencies, however I wish this embedding could
be automated, for example having maven downloading and embedding transitive dependencies into
the quartz bundle.

>> Thanks
>>
>> On 11/10/2015 16:08, ecki@zusammenkunft.net <mailto:ecki@zusammenkunft.net>
wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Have to agree with Neil, hower I want to add, that the bundling of Quartz here
is the problem, it could make some dependencies optional and it could even add some of the
dependencies inside the bundle. This is what I did with Quartz, I embedded Quartz and some
of its dependencies inside a bundle to greatly remove its external dependencies. You can even
overwrite/remove some imports for unused artifacts. Quartz needs this special treatment since
its a big ugly blob of goo.