felix-users mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <ben...@basistech.com>
Subject Re: Talking to an OBR repo
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 14:22:23 GMT
To expand on what I'm doing, in case of useful advice:

Here I am, part of a team that builds and maintains a large body of
Java code. Until recently, no OSGi at all. Maven is our build tool.
IntelliJ is our predominant IDE.

Recently, we decided to introduce OSGi into the picture. However, we
can't just wipe out the past; we have many users who would have
kittens if asked to use OSGi. And we would like to avoid radical
changes in tooling. So we want to build bundles, and we want to test
bundles, and we want to deliver a device that uses OSGi 'behind the
application's back' for those who don't want to deal with it. That
amounts to launching the framework via the API, and adding some
packages to the system bundle to allow communication between 'inside'
and 'outside'.

We added Maven modules that use the bundle plugin to our major
components. Where possible, we are using the existing OSGi status of
common open source facilities (commons-io, Jackson, etc). We arranged
things so that almost all communications are via services, not
exported packages. Where there are exported packages, the bundles are
simple in their structure (no packages exported from embedded jars),
so that we could retain relatively plain processes for Java
compilation.

For testing, we pulled in pax-exam. I'm not especially thrilled with
pax-exam; it seems complex and fragile to me.

Now, I'm looking at provisioning; when the time comes to set up a
container with the right set of components, how do we assemble all the
dependencies without a bunch of manual metadata maintenance?