felix-users mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@vonos.net>
Subject Re: OBR vs Maven
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 19:10:14 GMT
Hi,

Yes, being able to derive at least some of the dependencies by
introspecting the code, and then finding bundles that provide those
packages via the repo-index is one of the advantages over OBR; it
reduces the work of adding such dependencies to the pom manually.
However that's not a _huge_ amount of work.

There are presumably other advantages to OBR vs maven. Has nobody ever
documented them?

I'm also somewhat puzzled by how a tool would derive the OBR
dependencies from the source-code in the first place. Introspecting
source-code for such things is hard; analysing class-files is much
easier - but that requires the code to be _compiled_ first, which means
figuring out which jarfiles to include on the compilation-classpath,
which seems to me to be a circular problem :-)

Regards,
Simon