felix-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Armstrong <carmstr...@fastmail.com.au>
Subject Re: Development environment with Felix
Date Thu, 21 May 2015 01:52:39 GMT
Hi Michael

If it helps, the felix-eclipse plugin (disclosure: I am the original
author) for Eclipse works similarly to what you describe - it assembles
the bundle "in-memory" from the source code files (using a custom bundle
loader plugin), on-the-fly, and bootstraps Felix as an Eclipse
framework. It's also possible to update them as the Felix framework is
running.

https://github.com/chris-armstrong/felix-eclipse/

Cheers
Chris

On Sat, May 16, 2015, at 12:59 AM, maillist wrote:
> Hi,
>      We are currently using Eclipse IDE to develop and test OSGi bundles
> but we use Felix to run those bundles in a production environment.   I
> would love to swap out Equinox and replace with Felix as it has a much
> faster startup time and gives us the benefit of the OBR.   However, the
> thing that is stopping us is the requirement to compile and package the
> test bundle before starting Felix.  Equinox has an override that allows
> it to load classes from the "source"project.   How can I replicate this
> behaviour in Felix, ie do not require the pre packaging as some of these
> bundles are huge and take time to repackage every time we launch the
> test.  From the research I have done,  this is not possible in Felix as
> it stands.  Is there a hidden way?
>
> I am likely to hack/extend the Felix code (and republish) to provide
> this "development environment" workaround as the benefits for us will be
> huge.   Would someone give me a starter or a better way of doing this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Michael Baylis

  Christopher Armstrong
  carmstrong ^^AT^ fastmail dOT com /Dot/ au