felix-users mailing list archives

From Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>
Subject Re: iPojo : is it right for me?
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:01:22 GMT
I would like to second the suggestion to look at Amdatu, as well as the
'warning' that a lot of tutorials are unquestionably Eclipse-biased.
We don't use eclipse at all, and happily build / test all our (complex,
multi-module) OSGi systems with Maven, and the Bundle and Pax plugins,
and code using the IntelliJ IDE. Don't get locked into any particular IDE...

One final suggestion: I'm not sure how serious you are about the
"distributed Java" statement, but if you really are looking into
Distributed computing, OSGi is not the best framework for you. Look at:

  * The Rio Project <http://rio-project.org/>, which is built on top of
  * Apache River <http://river.apache.org/concepts.html> (formerly
    called Jini)

These allow you to build true services-oriented architectures in pure
Java, where the physical location of services don't matter, and the
fallacies of distributed computing are addressed head-on. We're using it
quite successfully, and alongside OSGi (still waiting for the mythical,
magical technology to merge the best of both technologies).

If you are happy to be relegated to e.g. RESTful web services, however,
OSGi is a treat - it's just a beautiful, lean, productive infrastructure
which has given us such good results over the years.

OSGi is all about choice. iPojo is effectively a service publishing /
injection framework, and there are a couple of options to you:
Declarative services, Felix dependency manager, iPojo, Blueprint
container. None of these have anything to do with publishing a service
as an HTTP resource.

A service published with any mechanism (like the above) can be exposed
as a REST resource using Amdatu (or similar). OSGi is like Arch Linux /
Gentoo Linux - you effectively create your own environment with many
available building blocks.

I would also urge you to look at Java EE. It is like Mac OS X - you get
EVERYTHING in the box, making it rather easy to use, but less flexible.
I mention this, because Java EE has very strong qualities like
transaction management, asynchronous communication, security,
persistence, general resource management, object- and thread pooling
(for performance/scalability) etc built-in, where you have to assemble
each of these capabilities yourself using OSGi. There are many
open-source containers that implement the Java EE spec, like Glassfish,
Wildfly, etc.

Good luck with your search!

kind regards,
Dawid