felix-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Derricutt" <m...@talios.com>
Subject Re: OSGi and Git - what release process, how many repos?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 23:29:03 GMT
On 21 Aug 2014, at 0:15, Bulu wrote:

> Given the ubiquity of git and OSGi, I would argue that having a tool
> to manage the release of a group of OSGi bundles, each of which is in
> a separate git repos, in a generic form would be a big benefit.

Late to this thread myself, but we have around 30-40 git repositories
each being a separate OSGi bundle, built with Apache Maven, sharing a
common parent containing a common/base maven-bundle-plugin and
karaf-feature configuration ( which we're moving to the maven-tiles
plugin (http://repaint.io - documentation coming) for better composition
).

We make heavy use of maven version ranges and semantic versioning, we
also separate out all our API/interface bundles to their own git
repositories/bundles, so that dependencies only bind to APIs and not
implementations.

We ALWAYS use a range of say `[1.0.0,2.0.0)` - exclusive of the upper
range, and NEVER release a `.0` version number ( avoids picking up
`2.0.0-SNAPSHOT`'s).

We also make use of the StickyCode bounds-plugin to automatically update
the lower range to latest release.

Mark