felix-users mailing list archives

From Clement Escoffier <clement.escoff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iPojo workflow
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2014 08:18:18 GMT

Hi,

We are working on a new toolset to speed up the development of iPOJO applications. So far,
theses tools are developed for web applications, but can be applied almost everywhere.

In the Wisdom Project (http://wisdom-framework.org), we developed a ‘watch’ mode based
on Apache Maven. Why Maven ? Because it’s our reference, and all our developers, our CI
servers even our QA team uses it. So, it avoids the uncanny valley feeling you have using
IDE-centric development.

With Wisdom, you launch Maven once, and it does its job on every file change. Wisdom is based
on Apache Felix and iPOJO meaning that Wisdom artifacts are OSGi bundles that, if they contain
iPOJO components, are also manipulated.

So, what about the process with this tool:
- you create a project
- you import the project into intellij or eclipse as a Maven project or as an Eclipse project
(after having executed mvn eclipse:eclipse)
- you launch mvn wisdom:run - it launches a Felix framework with all the Wisdom services (including
iPOJO, Configuration Admin…)
- you are all set, happy coding

Then, every time you save a file from your project, it re-compiles, rebuilds the bundle and
redeploys it.

Notice that, the launched Felix framework contains all the bundles on which your project depends
on. So, if in your project’s pom file, you have a dependency that is a bundle, it is deployed
(by default, Wisdom also deploy transitive dependencies).

Wisdom also provides testing support reproducing the configuration, deploy your bundles and
let you test your services, components and so on. If you are developing web applications it
also offers blackbox and selenium/fluentlenium support.

The 0.6 version of Wisdom is going to be released on Friday. This new version supports Java
8, and a basic support for multi-module projects.

The experiences, we are running in Wisdom, are going to be integrated in iPOJO. In other words,
the watch mode and ‘distribution-based-development’ are on the iPOJO 2 roadmap.

Regards,

Clement

PS: Wisdom is not part of Apache Felix, but it’s open source and licensed under the ASL
2.0.