felix-users mailing list archives

From Dawid Loubser <da...@travellinck.com>
Subject Re: OSGi R6 support in Felix
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2014 07:43:26 GMT
Mark, thank you so much for sharing that :-)

I certainly don't fear the functional though - I am wholeheartedly
embracing it, I am just curious about the long-term future of Java (and
OSGi).
The JVM - in the form of things like Frege and Scala - certainly offers
interesting possibilities in terms of functional programming.

The primary challenge facing me, is that I am having a hard time
integrating classical, pure functional programming with the ad-hoc
modularity that OSGi enables.
A large part of functional programming is the provability of correctness
etc, and this flies out the window when components can come and go.

Interesting times...

Dawid

On 28/04/2014 05:55, Mark Derricutt wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2014, at 21:28, Dawid Loubser wrote:
>
>> OSGi is an architecture that I so firmly believe in, but at the same
time it exists in a world being ever-more influenced by weak typing
(e.g. JavaScript, Lua) and functional programming (Haskell, Scala).

> Don't fear the functional code tho!
>
>   * https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDsuPdMptCU
>
> A short video I made awhile ago using Frege ( a Haskell variant for
the JVM ) and OSGi.

> The modularity combination of type classes and dynamic bundle loading
would appear to work hand in hand quite well.