felix-users mailing list archives

From Manuel Fiorelli <manuel.fiore...@gmail.com>
Subject Differences between jar and bundle packaging in Maven POM
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:11:59 GMT
Hello everybody,

I know that you can build an OSGi bundle through the maven-bundle-plugin,
either by setting the "packaging" to "bundle", or by explicitly attaching
the plugin to the build lifecycle of an "ordinary" jar.

I would like to know what are the consequences of the two approaches, and
how they affect the Maven dependency mechanism.

In particular, I am really interested in the choice of the approach best
suited to each of the following two scenarios.

Scenario 1: old-fashioned library
In some projects of mine I want that a component can be used both as an
OSGi bundle and as an ordinary JAR.

Scenario 2: OSGi only
I've some projects that are meant to be used only in an OSGi container.

--
Manuel Fiorelli