felix-users mailing list archives

From Clement Escoffier <clement.escoff...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iPOJO Components instantiated but no visible output
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:16:19 GMT
Hi,

Most of the issues you had come from the fact that you are embedding Felix and try to access
iPOJO API and services from outside the OSGi framework. You would have run into the same issues
with all the technologies you cited. The ‘regular’ setup is much easier and would not
have required any additional effort.

Regards,

Clement

On 26 janv. 2014, at 19:45, Zaid Jamal Saeed Al Mahmoud <zaid.almahmoud@kustar.ac.ae>
wrote:

> Thank you Mr. Clement and Mr. Guillaume for your help during the previous days.
>
> I once read that iPOJO was made to simplify the development of OSGI applications. But
looking at all these things I need to set in order to create an iPOJO instance, I find that
iPOJO is actually complicating my life.

> Probably the reason why I find iPOJO complicated is because I am new to iPOJO, and I
am missing its concept.

> But based on my experience, I highly recommend more documentation for  iPOJO syntax.
It is really cumbersome to go the APIs and to try to get the syntax for a specific task.
> I am not saying there is no documentation. Actually, I liked how the website is organized
with different tutorials, but these tutorials are more concept-oriented rather than showing
how you can achieve something by a java code.

> During the last month, I have been experimenting with different component models including
OSGI Declarative Services, iPOJO, Fractal, Frascati , and SCA. The simplest and richest one
I found so far is The Declarative Service. Meanwhile, I will go with that one to achieve my
needs. Perhaps, I will come back in the future, and learn more about iPOJO.

> Thanks again, and good luck with whatever you are doing. I am sure it is a great and
valuable work.

> Zaid

it won't be that easy. This should work:

> ServiceReference[] references = m_felix.getBundleContext().getServiceReferences(Factory.class.getName(),
"(factory.name=...)"); if (references == null) {
>    System.out.println("No references"); } else {
>     Object factory = m_felix.getBundleContext().getService(references[0]);
> }
>
> Unfortunately, all access to the retrieved service will be done using reflection.
> To avoid this, you can try to configure the Felix launcher to export the iPOJO packages
from the system bundle (by setting org.osgi.framework.system.packages.extra). You should have
a look to the 'Using Services Provided By Bundles' from http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-framework-launching-and-embedding.html

> Regards,
>
> Clement

you want to instantiate) and call Factory.createInstance(...)"

>>> I would love to achieve that. But I am seeking since a week for the syntax code
to achieve that. Here's what I did:

>>> In my Java Application:
>>>
>>>  @Requires(filter="(factory.name=my-factory)")
>>>  private Factory factory;
>>
>> The @Requires only works in iPOJO component. According to your setup, this code is
not an iPOJO component (Am I wrong ?). You have to do the service lookup using the bundle
context to retrieve the Factory service.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Clement
>>

>>> THEN,
>>>
>>>                              ComponentInstance instance = factory.createComponentInstance(null);

>>>                  	instance.start();
>>>
>>> This keeps raising a Null Pointer Exception that factory is NULL. But my bundle
has a component with the name factory and that bundle is up and running, and I can see that
my-factory is alive as well by the command:

>>> g! ipojo:factories
>>> Factory my-factory (VALID)
>>>

>>> Can you just help me with the right syntax of getting a factory service, so I
can instantiate my component. Thanks.

are still statically described).
>>> In that case, there are plenty solutions available:
>>> * Get the iPOJO Factory service (associated with the type/component
>>> you want to instantiate) and call Factory.createInstance(...)
>>> * Using ConfigAdmin: you create Configuration objects and push them
>>> the the CA service. iPOJO will obtain that configuration and create
>>> the instance for you
>>>
>>> You talked a bit about the all dynamic use case. I must tell that it's mode complexe
and probably less adapted to all cases.
>>> Imagine that you have a class designed for another component model: scr, dm,
blueprint, ...
>>> You don't want to change the code of these classes: the so-called iPOJO API is
for you.
>>> You'll be able to tell iPOJO to modify/manipulate the class bytecode and make
it a full-blown iPOJO component.
>>> And then, that API facilitate you the instance creation (but it's the Factory
methods that are used behind the hood).

>>> Is this clearer ?
>>> So in your case, I would suggest you to start with metadata.xml (or
>>> annotations) to describes types of components.
>>> And then create instances through config admin.
>>> I would also suggest you to take a look at file install that have a nice file
format to declares configuration dynamically.

>>> --G

his code should work if he used the following way: